Saturday, January 17, 2015

Antiquing amazement..........

Hey all you Kevin the Quilter blog readers!!!!!!

How have you all been this week?????

Good I hope????

If you have read my blog for any amount of time, you know I love to go to antique malls and browse.

Today seemed to be the best day so far this year to hit a few antique malls in Pike County, Missouri that I hadn't been to in a while.  I need to preface this by saying, I hadn't been to either of these antique malls in almost 2 years, but, when I did go to them, I NEVER found what I found today!!!!
It was ANTIQUING AMAZEMENT I tell ya!

I first went to Kate's Attic in Louisiana...............Missouri!  Yes, Missouri has a knack for naming towns after other states and countries.  But, I digress........


"Seven Sisters" anyone?
This quilt was hand sewn and hand quilted.
It was very well made, and I loved the binding.
It was tattered in places, and was priced too high.
My photo of more of the quilt turned out extremely blurry....sorry!

Interesting pattern?  Anyone know the name?
This was very scrappy, but, that border did nothing to enhance the quilt.
Another "catch and release" as Bonnie Hunter would say!

At this point, I would like to mention how hard it is to get a really good photo of a quilt when there is very little floor space to lay it out, and hanging it on something could make other valuable glass antiques fall to their deaths!  It is, however, VERY nice to be able to stroll at my own pace, and not worry if I am taking too long.  So, pluses and minuses on antiquing alone.

I continued on to Clarksville Antique Center.  I have always loved this place!  I just hadn't had a reason to go to Clarksville in a while.  They are actually doing some nice things here, and sprucing the place up a bit!  Each time I have visited, I have seen things I like, but, this time.......it was literally quilt overload!  Many of these quilts were damaged with stains, or tattered in places.  But, all inspiring none the less.  Please enjoy the following photos!

"Seven Sisters" must have been a popular pattern in Pike County Missouri!
This was a very well hand pieced top.  Stained, and a hole in the border.
It almost went home with me, but, the asking price was just too much.

I am telling you.....quilts were EVERYWHERE today!


Octagon obsession!

Retro verging on modern!


I hope you can see the circular quilting in this one!
Great vintage fabrics!

Not enough fabric?  Then make do!  See the Pink square?  
There is a tiny border of a different fabric to make the block large enough.
LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!

These cracked me up!

 Quilts over here......

Quilts over there......
(Great display here.....wish more of the quilts were visible though...)

Quilts EVERYWHERE!!!!!
This room was FULL of tattered quilts and vintage fabrics!

In it's hey day, this was a stunner I am sure.
But, you can see how faded it is, and a rather large stain in the left darker pink section.

There were applique quilts as well.....questionable hanging system for this one.
See the hangers???

This top was really cool!  It could pass for modern!
A top only, it was the most reasonable find of the day, but, again, catch and release.

Here is a close up of the block........any takers on what the block may be named?

And, if you are in the market for feed sacks, here ya go!

 Yep, there were quilts all over the place!

 Everywhere you looked!

QUILTS!!!!!!!!

I should have bought this for my sewing studio! LOL

But, this was the only item that came home with me!  A cast iron Boston Terrier bank!
What can I say?  I am addicted to quilts and Boston Terriers!



In other news............
An update on the Kevin the Quilter's Quilts of Valor Block Drive.  I have been wading through backings and bindings for our quilt tops made from the Quilts of Valor Block Drive!  These quilts are all going through Quilts of Valor, Eastern Missouri.  It has been a sheer pleasure matching the backings and bindings with the quilts.

 A very generous donation of 2 bolts of Moda fabrics for some of the Quilts of Valor.
Thanks to all of you who donated yardage for the backings!

 I have received various donations of bindings!
Thanks to you all who donated bindings as well!
I have been measuring them out for the length they need to be for one quilt, and placing them on
empty fabric bolts.  The bindings on the left are from blocks that were received that could NOT be 
squared up or were not made correctly.  This was the best use I could think of for the colorful QOVs!

Here are 10 quilts kitted up, awaiting hand quilting at Quilts of Valor, Eastern Missouri.
I do have several other long arm machine quilters working on quilts as well!

I hope you are doing something today that makes YOU happy!
Thanks for stopping by my neck of the woods today!
Thanks for all of the encouragement!
Kevin the Quilter









24 comments:

  1. Gorgeous quilt finds, too bad they were too pricey. Love the bank, how cute!

    I get to do what makes me happy tomorrow. I made Drama Teen happy today by hosting a sleep over to celebrate sweet 16 for her and three friends (all 4 have birthdays within a month of each other). I get to sew tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love the BT bank! DH bought me a concrete BT doorstop last year, but it has some damage, so I'm afraid to put it out. Maybe I'll just put it on the front porch...to scare off the burglars! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have been in quilt heaven with all those quilts surrounding you. I'm surprised that a couple of them didn't find their way into your basket. Very cute BT bank. I once shopped for those cast iron dogs for a friend that collected them. Had forgotten all about that until I saw your picture. Yours looks to be in better shape than most I've seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always cry inside when i see heritage quilts in thrift shops - how they strayed from their homes and loved one makes me wonder. I have a few rescued lovelies that I treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun post to read... so much eye candy... yum yum!
    Love seeing your organizational system for the bindings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had your own quilt show!! How beautiful. That last block is really unique - Ihope someone can name it;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe how many quilts and quilt tops were in that store and looks like there were some neat patterns! How did you get by without bringing one home Kevin???? The cast iron Boston Terrier is precious and I can see why you bought it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great quilt show. I don't know if I would have been able to resist bringing one of them home! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your studio look like mine, Cancer quilt blocks kitted with sashing and binding strips. I have really used up some stash coming up with sashing . Oh my your stroll through the antique malls, the one block (that is alone) is very interesting, I can see it made in some bright fabrics. Thanks for the wonderful tour Kevin. Love your Boston Terrier bank, always enjoy a visit to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find it quite amazing to see these stores with so many antique quilts. You just don't see them in Australia. Would love to know the stories behind them. Thank you for sharing your photos. Well done on your progress with QOV.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing all of your antique finds. You made a wise choice with the Boston Terrier bank.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of lovely quilts! I haven't been to any antique shops lately. I love to stop at shops all thru Missouri and Illinois, along I55, when I travel thru there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Quilts of Valor project! Way to go on contributing and organizing!
    I've never been in an antique mall with SO many quilts. Fun inspirational shopping!! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved antuque-ing with you! You found some cool stuff! Your QOV stuff looks so organized, love that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great finds - both catch-and-release and take home!! How many QOV quilts did you end up making with your donated blocks? Molli Sparkles asked for blocks and he thinks he has enough for 11 or 12 quilts. Sure hope it ends up more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So nice to find your blog while retreating with Bonnie! I'd love to participate in the quilts of valor program so can you send me the information.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Kevin that was a great quilt show I wonder how old some of those quilts were with the vintage fabrics! The single block from the quilt top was unusual with the square patch in the middle . It didn't look like a star block though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was the most interesting Antiquing Shopping I've ever made! Thank you so much for taking us with you. I will be back to visit again for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow...that was a quilt filled antiquing day! Thanks for sharing the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved all of the quilts. Antiquing here usually doesn't produce much in the way of quilts. I have a cast iron Boston Terrier also, but mine is not a bank. I think it was a door stop, but not sure. Doesn't matter what it was used for in the past. He sits on the hearth and guards the house now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant use of "oops didn't make the cut" blocks! Heaviest Boston Terrier I have ever seen. Quilt On!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm catching up on a lot of your post, Kevin. Enjoying hearing about what you've been up to. LOVE that cast iron bank!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I Want to use this medium to appreciate an online ghost hacker, after being ripped off my money he helped me find my cheating lover and helped me hacked his WHATSAPP, GMAIL, kik and all his social media platforms and i got to know that he has being cheating on me and in less than 24 hours he helped me out with everything, hacking setting is trust worthy, contact him via: hackingsetting50@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I Want to use this medium to appreciate an online ghost hacker, after being ripped off my money he helped me find my cheating lover and helped me hacked his WHATSAPP, GMAIL, kik and all his social media platforms and i got to know that he has being cheating on me and in less than 24 hours he helped me out with everything, hacking setting is trust worthy, contact him via: hackingsetting50@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete