Sunday, June 5, 2016

A post at last.......

A post from lil' ole me.....

AT LAST!!!!!

I never knew how busy I truly would be with a new home.  Sure, I knew I would have to be flying even more than I usually did.  But, on my days off, every day is allocated to a different project around the new house.  Am I complaining?  NOT! ONE! BIT!  I actually enjoy working on home improvement projects, and it has made me much more productive with my sewing while I am flying.


My black featherweight, Miss Bev, has been humming right along in my hotel rooms
during my layovers.  These string blocks are from the Missouri State Quilt Guild, and I have been able to assemble all of them into basket weave quilts for Quilts of Valor.

And before you think I haven't sewn anything in my new sewing studio, 
I have been playing with the recycled shirtings my friend Cherie of 
generously shared with me.  I cannot WAIT to show you what I am working up
with these.  This fabric came just at the right time as we start our second installment
of "Scrap Club" at O'Sewpersonal.
This segment of "Scrap Club" will be hosted by your's truly, and will focus on the
"Log Cabin" block.
I may have to participate in the Log Cabin Lunacy Julie is hosting on her blog that my blogging friend Kathy of Kathy's Quilts tempted me to read!
I am really, really excited about this class!

Along with our "Scrap Club" mystery, I issued a "Crumb" challenge to the students.
Many of them have never dabbled or played with the small left over pieces and cut offs of scraps
while they make quilts.  This encouraged the students to play with their fabrics, and try something new.  The turn out of "Crumb" quilts was great!  
Congrats to all of the students who played along!
As you can see, some got REALLY creative with portraits and letters!

 I sometimes get the cold shoulder from Valentino when I come home.
I can't say that I blame him when he has this gorgeous window view to stare out of with
the sun and shadows to ponder upon.

Miss Honolulu, AKA My Beautiful Little Momma
is doing great!  Thanks for all of your prayers!  She and my Handsome Daddy were able to come stay with me during the Memorial Day Weekend and work around the house.
She is sporting a flower from one of the flower gardens here at the new house. LOL

Of course when my Dad is around, Sophia is ALWAYS sitting in what I refer to
as the "PaPa Patch!"

But, we didn't just sit around and eat picnic food during the weekend!
NO! NO! NO!
There was important work to be done!

As I shared before, this old shed on the property was going to be transformed into
a chicken coop.
My friend Mike poured the concrete footings to make it extra secure
from any type of predator.

Metal studs are going up!
Nothing should be able to chew through these!

The framing is complete!

Hardware cloth hung and more concrete around the base for extra security!
As you can see, this is a very wooded area of the property which is home to all
sorts of predators such as raccoons, possums, foxes, coyotes, owls, hawks, and snakes.
I don't want ANY of those critters to get my flock!

Getting the inside of the coop set up.
Roosts are in the right hand corner, along with roosting
at the bench where my dad is working.
I plan to compost all of this hay as it is used and changed during cleanings.

And, a completed coop for some really happy chickens!
We were happy it was finished too!
This truly is the "FORT KNOX" of chicken coops!
Here my dad holds my Old English Blue Bantam Rooster named Lex.
And I am holding my most favorite hen, a Light Brahma named Sweetie Pie.
By the way, don't hate our excellent taste in fashions.
We were working!

My dad sure is talented when it comes to construction.
We had some ups and downs, as most people do with any
DIY project.  But, I couldn't be happier with this coop and 
am so happy I was able to have my dad help out with this project.

And, these little chickies couldn't be happier either!

I am thoroughly enjoying my mornings with a cup of coffee while reading some outdated
quilting magazines courtesy of quilting friends.  I love to watch these very entertaining birds.
I find inspiration in these old magazines from time to time, and really enjoy reading them.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh............this is what I have wanted for so long!

I promise to keep you all up to date on things that go on around here at 
the Quilt Cave.  It's going to take money, and time, and I will just have to 
be patient.  I wish money grew on trees! LOL
The next few projects are on the near horizon!


Thanks for your friendship!
Thanks for all of the encouragement!
Keep on quilting and enjoying life!
Kevin the Quilter
















21 comments:

  1. When I was little and living in a sterile 50s suburb, my mother used to say. "Wait, the chickens will come home to roost for them. And then watch." She did not grow up on a farm either, and I never knew what that meant. Well, your chickens have come home to roost and what are we watching for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your father's jumpsuit. My daddy and both of my grandfathers wore jumpsuits, especially for working around the house. Brings back lots of memories. Have fun around your new home. Looks like more than the chickens are 'nesting'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are both so guilty of abandoning our blogs. I'm SO happy that you are settling in and getting back to basics! I wish you had come to visit our camper at the Paducah Quilt Show, but I'm sure our paths will cross again! Great update post! Hope to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic chicken coop! Those crumb projects are full of good stuff - and those shirtings look amazing (yeah, Cherie!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing sweeter than having your mom and dad help you with your new home projects. Great Chicken Coop! Miss Bev is truly lucky to accompany you on your travels and get serious sewing done. Keep enjoying your new home and the many projects you envision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was truly impressed with the construction of Fort Knox of chicken coops. It looks amazing. Am awaiting the coop open house to interview thw new occupants personally about their new digs. Your log cabin blocks look great. Love the plaids and shirtings look. Dar

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whohoo!!! What an awesome, Fort Knox chicken coop! So glad you have your flock back. Mine is growing and growing. I have to check out all the blog post you referenced in this post. Sooner or later I'm gonna get log cabin fever, I just know it. LOVE the shirtings! Oh, and I love Kathy's Quilts too! She a scrap lover just like us! Happy home making!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, there's a lot going on at your place. Fort Knox for chicken's? Too fun. Hope you are able to catch your breath a bit soon and spend some quality time in your new digs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post!!! Love seeing the pics and hearing about your "country" life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The chicken coop is fantastic !! Are you going to sell any eggs ?
    The life is sooo good when our projects are growing up no ?
    Enjoy your new house Kevin !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything we want to accomplish in life always takes time and money!! At least now you can chalk up one project done!! Your dad reminds me of my husband---there is nothing he can't do!!! And your mom is just the cutest!! Love the flower!
    Love the scrap projects from the students! I just started saving all my bits this year. As soon as the little drawer is full, I will tackle them and see if they were worth keeping!! LOL!!
    Love the plaid log cabin! Plaids always make such interesting quilts. Can't wait to see what else is in store!
    Stay safe and keep living the good life! {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  12. My but you have been busy! Your Dad is amazing too. Although, it is obvious that you come from a great and loving family! So, what I want to know is, how many comments do you get while all the other airline staff is wheeling their luggage down the concourse and you are carrying your Featherweight?!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear that you are keeping the machines humming at home and away!! Don't be so long between updates. I start to think you've flown the coop! :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful chicken coop..I'm sure they Love it Kevin.Beautiful chickens too..I Love how close you are to your family. That's a wonderful thing.
    Blessings & Hugs, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kevin! Great post, love your newly constructed chicken coop....have you named your chickens yet? You will have lots of fun with them and their eggs to bake and cook with are the best. I have a good friend that I get eggs from about every 3 weeks. Using them when I cook and bake with are just the best!!

    Great to see you having a wonderful visit with your Mom and Dad. Your projects are very fun too!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the new coop, i have chickens too, they really are natures composters with benefits. Food scraps in fertilizer out with eggs as a bonus lol. Cant wait to see the log cabin come together, its one of my fave blocks. Great to see you can spend time with your beautiful parents, both mine are now gone so cherish them while you can. Hope you get to spend more time in "the quilt cave" ☺

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look at you go!! And , m, Plaids!!!Yay ;-) Your chickeys look very very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kevin, you are just one busy guy!! Your parents look great and turning that old shed into a chicken house is the neatest idea! Enjoy your new home and.....keep quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the respect you show your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Slow and steady or one day at a time.
    It will all get done! Thanks for sharing your journey! Keep showing pix
    of outdoors, beautiful property.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG your coop is fabulous! great sewing stuff too

    ReplyDelete