Sunday, July 10, 2016

WINNER!......and more............

Here's hoping you ALL had a wonderful 4th of July holiday!

Thank you ALL for the beautiful comments you shared about "Red, White, and Blue" along with your favorite ways to spend the 4th of July!

I will be sharing my 4th of July celebration with everyone in just a moment........

BUT FIRST............

I want to thank Travis of 


for offering the wonderful fat quarter bundle giveaway in my last post.



 Since ole' Uncle Kevin here is technologically illiterate,
I did the drawing the old fashioned way!
I placed all of the names in a plastic container......

And drew a name at random.........

The lucky winner is........

Randy of Barrister's Block!

Travis and I congratulate you Randy, and hope you enjoy your new fat quarter bundle!
(I have sent you an e-mail so your fabric can be on it's way to you!)

Thanks again to EVERYONE for playing!

Now, how about a photographic view of my most recent activities?

I typically spend the 4th of July with my family.
My sister hosts a nice summer dinner, and then my niece and nephew, 
along with their father and his brother shoot off fireworks for all to see.
This year's show was a stunner as usual.  However, getting good shots of 
fireworks didn't pan out as I had planned.

While visiting the family, we were reminiscing about my Meemaw who taught me how
to sew, and quilt.  You all KNOW how influential she was to me and my
eventual love of quilting.  Her favorite quilt to sew was "Trip Around the World."
She had a particular quilt that she used daily, and spread across the back of her
couch, that I thought had been lost long ago........


 Lo and behold, my sister has it!
This is a very humble quilt made of double knit polyester!
It will last FOREVER!
I am just happy to know that it has remained in the family
and will continue to do so!

After viewing the fireworks, I brought my niece and nephew 
home with me to stay for a few days.
They know I will do whatever they want to do and
take them wherever they want to go.
Uncles are allowed to spoil their nieces and nephews a little!

The kiddos wanted to play miniature golf.
Something I am admittedly not very good at!
So usually, the game consists of the kids laughing at me!

They also wanted to go to the St. Louis Zoo.
I have to admit, I love going to the zoo as St. Louis has 
one of the best zoos in the country!

We decided to have a look alike contest with the great apes!


Clearly, I look nothing like these wonderful mammals!

I think Holly needs sunglasses on her head to
see the true resemblance to Hannah?

Hmmm.......Curtis is looking a lot like this gorilla!

The winner of the look a like contest this day was my friend Mike!
Don't you agree???? LOLOL

And, before you think the zoo and quilts have nothing in common......

Here is Curtis in the Insecterium with
the bug quilt!

I had a wonderful visit with the kiddos, and all too soon it was over.
Back home they went, and I went back to quilting........


I received this from the Missouri Star Quilt Company
unexpectedly, and thought someone was trying to surprise me?

It contained these goodies!
I called MSQC to see if I could find out if I had 
ordered something inadvertently or if someone had
surprised me?  They said that several of these were
sent out as a thank you to random customers.
THANK YOU! MSQC!!!!

I am still thinning out those strings and crumbs with a few new projects!
These new projects will be shared soon, I promise......and have made for
very easy sewing while I am flying!
 I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Accuquilt Studio!

Perhaps you all remember the smaller group I am a part of
called Perky Piecers, and the Friendship Triangle Exchange we
participated in all of last year?  Each month we made half square triangles
in a different color to represent that month's birthstone color.
Well, all of the triangles have been sorted thanks to the help of my
friend Kim, and will be going to their new homes this week!
I can't WAIT to see what the members create with their
half square triangles!

And, I am very happy to say that the chickens are
FINALLY earning their keep!
The first egg is always so exciting to find!
When first laying, the eggs are not the prettiest, but, this egg
proves the gal that laid it will eventually be providing 
wonderful eggs!
At a little over 4 months, I am VERY surprised to already start
receiving an egg here and there.  However, it is not unheard of.
I think the ladies are very happy with their new home and are 
showing their appreciation!

And for those of you who made comments about what type
of barn quilt I should make for the chicken barn.......
I think I have made my decision.......




"Hen & Chicks" is beyond appropriate and doable!
These are some photos I found on google images that
helped solidify my decision!



Thanks to all of you who stop by for a visit!
Thanks for all of the encouragement!
Keep on quilting!
Kevin the Quilter














12 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Randy for winning the drawing. Your 4th holiday extended looked like a lot of fun. It is too hot here in Phoenix to really enjoy our zoo, but soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to the winner. HA - love the photo 'look-a-likes'!! Yeah - the first egg, purhaps inspiration to the rest of the girls. Can't wait to see the quilt block on the hen house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Kevin and congrats! on the first egg. I bet the chickens will lay MORE eggs once you've decorated the hen house with their very own QUILT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy reading your posts. I do wish you would be able to post more often, I know selfish of me. You tell a great story and perhaps you just can't write more often due to that 24 hours in your day thing.....but if you have the time and just want to limit how much and often you share about you family and friendsc....I'd love to read about the chickens or how the cutter has chopped up yards and yards of fabrics
    Colleen
    On the left coast

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hens and chicks is perfect! And eggs so soon - wow! I have a friend who found a snake in her hen house yesterday - just one more reason why you won't catch this little girl raising chickens - yikes!!!! Sounds like you have been enjoying quite a lot of wonderful family time - I have a feeling your niece and nephew know how blessed they are to have you! It means so much to kids that age to be treated to a special visit like that. And personally, I think you totally rocked the gorilla look - just sayin' my friend :*)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Teresa...so important for teenagers to have adults in their lives (aside from their parents) who they know treasure them, want to spend time with them, spoil them, enjoy them, and are not judgmental of them. I just bet they adore Uncle Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So jealous of the chickens... I would love to have chickens!
    The resemblance challenge was hysterical, and I must say YOU would get my vote!
    Enjoy every minute you can with your niece and nephew... they grow up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I draw the old fashioned way, too. I had a friend have her dog draw (I won that one). When you play miniature golf, score the way I do. We quit counting swings when we reach the 'par' amount for that hole. Can't score higher than that, no matter how many swings you take ;) Keeps the scoring a bit closer for some of us that don't 'aim' very well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! I almost never win anything. THANKS!!! So excited!
    And I love the fact that you take Holly and Curtis! What a great uncle, literally!! I'm sure that means the world to them (and their parents!!).
    LOVE reading your blog. And the little egg?? Ill bet it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love miniature golf. Not good at it, but still fun. I like Cheryl's method of keeping score.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a wonderfully busy 4th of July. Looking forward to seeing what you've got going in the sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Want to use this medium to appreciate an online ghost hacker, after being ripped off my money he helped me find my cheating lover and helped me hacked his WHATSAPP, GMAIL, kik and all his social media platforms and i got to know that he has being cheating on me and in less than 24 hours he helped me out with everything, hacking setting is trust worthy, contact him via: hackingsetting50@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete