Monday, May 22, 2017

In Memoriam

This is a post I never wanted to have to make.......








Gracie Lu
7/11/07 - 5/6/17

I had to let go of my beautiful baby Boston Terrier 2 weeks ago.
I am just now able to share this news with you all.
I am heartbroken.

I want to take this time to thank each and every one of you for all of the 
tremendous support you have given to me.  From calls, e-mails, texts, replying
to my previous blog entry, and Facebook messages.  
Your concern for Gracie Lu and me has been
overwhelming, and I appreciate it so very much.
If I haven't responded to you personally, please know
how much your comments have meant to me.

I am thankful to God for blessing me with Gracie Lu.
She taught me so much about life.......
.....to be happy
.....to savor the moments you are given
.......to take the road trip....it may take longer, but may be worth it
.....and most of all to love.

One of my quilting friends, Sharon, shared a thought with me that is so true.
Dogs are very much like God in the fact that
they can love unconditionally.
So true.
So very, very true.

Gracie Lu was my big, bumbling, bull in a china shop, clown of a dog.
She loved making people laugh, and brought such joy to 
everyone she came in contact with.
She was a Boston Terrier through and through....
extremely devoted to her family and home.....and you
better not act aggressive to her daddy or she would give you an earful.
She was like her daddy, and LOVED to eat!
But, most of all, she loved to love.
And, I definitely know she loved me as much as I loved her.


I'd like to share a few of my favorite photos of Gracie Lu.

I hope you enjoy them.

The day Gracie Lu came home.

Nap time with Daddy.

Gracie Lu LOVED nap time!

Growing up with big Sissy Sophia.
Gracie Lu is the one sitting up.

Gracie's first experience with snow!

Give her a tennis ball, and she would play all day!
(When she wasn't napping in between!)

Whatta ham!

She couldn't believe she won the 
Miss America Pageant here!

On Christmas morn, she KNEW
Santa had visited her because she and her sissy
were good girls!

What a loving little girl.
She would lean in for her kisses from Daddy.

See what I mean?
My sweet baby girl!

She could bury herself in the bed for naps.
If I didn't know where she was in the house, 
I could always find her buried under
the covers in the bed!

She also helped my friend Mike finish one of 
his marathons!

There will never be eyes like that again!

She loved talking to Mawmaw and Pawpaw on the phone.
Not to mention her Aunt Lisa, and cousins Hannah and Curtis.

She loved sitting on my lap.
And, usually made a great book or magazine holder.

One of her proudest moments was winning a 
Hallmark card contest with her sissy Sophia.
The inside of the card reads:
"Smile!  It's your birthday!"

I held her paw for the last time before we
had to say goodbye here on earth.

An interesting, and very consoling thing happened
the day Gracie Lu passed on.


The roses started to bloom here at the Quilt Cave.
The roses also bloomed at my Grandmother's house
the day my Grandma passed away many years ago.
A beautiful sign to me for 2 beautiful
beings that blessed my life.



I will get back to blogging now.
I am feeling better with each passing day.
And, I am going to host Scrap Club here on my blog starting in June.
Thank you all for understanding my blogging circumstances these past few months.
I am so thankful to have quilting friends and family like you from all over the world!
Thanks for being a part of my life!
Thanks for all of the encouragement!
Kevin the Quilter

53 comments:

  1. What a great collection of pictures, Kevin. Thanks for sharing your memories.
    Take care. So terribly sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how devastating for you..so sorry..I know your warm memories of Gracie Lu will help your heart to heal...
    My Godfather, Oncle Julian, (yes, I was named after him) had a sweet Boston Terrier: "Briney" who loved to cuddle and give me kisses...she left me with my lasting love of dogs...
    Love those wonderful pictures...
    Keep her memory close to your heart hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post, Kevin. Thank you for having this conversation with us! Such sweet pictures and loving comments. my best to you. I am looking forward to your scrap club, I have lots and lots of scraps.....more than anyone else, I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you will always have the memories. Those never leave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your memories and grief. It will get better, slowly. Won't go away, but it will be easier to bear. Keep well yourself. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please know you have been on my mind. I know the loss of a companion. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Kevin, there are no words. Your pictures tell it all. Keep plugging. How about making a scrap quilt with all the different shades, tones and colors of your Gracie Lu?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No words can ever take the pain away, but I do believe she sent you the rose to help dry your tears. Hugs for you and Sophia Annabella.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hugs for you Kevin! It is always so hard to lose a fur baby but you have wonderful memories and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry for loss. Keep her memories in your thoughts and she will always live on in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry for loss. Keep her memories in your thoughts and she will always live on in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a beautiful post, so many precious memories. Thank you for sharing your sorrow and your joyous memories at what I know to be a very difficult time. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Kevin, I'm so sorry! Sending you a virtual hug and hope that your warm memories help with the grief.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know you didn't want to have to write this post, but the photos and stories are such a loving tribute to your Gracie Lu. Be gentle with yourself as you grieve - everything else will happen when it is time. And that beautiful rose - oh what a special special bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh It is so heartbreaking! What a beautiful tribute to your little princess pup.
    I loved seeing all the photos.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing such beautiful photos and memories! Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry, but, that puppy was well loved. Glad you were with her at the end. Great memories. Hold onto them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing such beautiful memories of Gracie Lu, they always share a part of our heart. Sending hugs your way Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just started subbing to your blog. I am so very sad to hear about this ltragicaly sad loss.
    I know your pain so very well, I lost my beloved Pierro last November. The pain never ends.
    I will pray for you. We need to care for each other with our painful losses.
    I will keep you in my prayers. I still miss my sweet beloved Pierro every day. I still cry.

    ReplyDelete
  20. such a sad time, you have some wonderful photos which will bring you so much joy in time

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing photos and story of Gracie Lu. I know the heartache you are going through and the loss you will always feel. (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the story of the roses. What a tender mercy!
    Thank you for sharing the photos, Kevin. I feel like I knew her now. You obviously gave her a happy, love-filled life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing Gracie Lu with us, i know she could not have wished for a better loving home. Hugs ❤

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fabulous tribute to Gracie Lu. She certainly was a beauty. Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. so sorry for your lose. god bless you for caring so deeply for Gracie Lu. thanks for sharing, my favored pick of Gracie Lu was her in the round container. tummy up and sleeping,she was happy no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a beautiful tribute! I have tears in my eyes.. hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so sorry for your loss, Kevin. There is no doubt Gracie Lu loved you as much as you loved her. What a great tribute to her. Thanks you for sharing this with us. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kevin, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know there's a huge hole in your heart now that she's gone. I'm glad you have happy memories and great photos of her to keep. I hope you'll be feeling better with time, and I hope the rest of your family including sissy Sophia are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kevin, sorry for your loss. Gracie Lu will always have a special place in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a loving tribute and photos of your special girl. I know that she is watching over you and the roses story is such a loving memory. Your photos of her life are heart warming and I know you and your family will miss her terribly. So sorry you had to go through this heartbreak. It will get easier in time. She was truly loved by all who met her.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dolly and I would like to extend our most sincere condolences. No matter what size they are, dogs leave huge paw prints on our hearts. Do take care and thank you for sharing such a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You have my deepest sympathy. Thank you for sharing the lovely tribute and pictures of Gracie Lu.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh sweet Kevin. My heart hurts so hard for you and I'm so sorry for your loss. It never seems we get long enough to love them. Big hugs from Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  34. So very sorry for your loss. Being a dog lover, I know what you've been through. Enjoyed your tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such wonderful pictures. You gave her a beautiful life and she gave you such wonderful memories. Not sure which picture or story I liked best. They were all so touching. God bless you as you begin the healing process.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a wonderful tribute to your sweet darling Gracie Lu. My heart goes out to you and I hope you continue to find comfort remembering all the wonderful moments you've share with your sweet Gracie Lu.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is a wonderful tribute to your little Gracie Lù.... These photos are very touching and fun and I really loved to see them... You spent wonderful moments with her, she loved her Daddy so much ...don't forget that !
    Big hugs Kevin !

    ReplyDelete
  38. Such beautiful pictures. I am so sorry for your loss. It is never an easy decision to make. I had to make that decision for my pug, Sydneybean, after 18 wonderful years. The pain doesn't go away but it lessens. Hugs to you and your family. pam

    Please excuse if there is a double post. Chrome for some reason doesn't like to post a comment until I go to Firefox. Then it sometimes decides to post.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Sending hugs. Gracie Lu sent you roses.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Kevin,I am glad you have such a good outlook on Gracie Lu's passing. You are fortunate to have had her
    for 10 years. Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sending hugs and prayers to you and Gracie Lu's family. There is nothing more precious than a furbaby's love!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Knowing the grief you're going through right now, my heart aches for you. You will never forget or stop missing Gracie Lu. Thank you so much for sharing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Kevin, I'm so sorry that you had to do this post. Losing a fur-baby is so hard! How is Sophie handling the loss of her fur-sister?
    Please know you are loved by all of your quilting friends and I'm sending you virtual hugs!
    Prayers for you and Sophie!
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm so sorry you lost your Gracie Lu!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I was just getting ready to email you to see how you were doing and then I saw this wonderful post. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  46. So sorry to her about Gracie Lu! She's adorable! You will ways have great memories of her! These pets of ours bring so much love to our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Kevin, although Gracie Lu is no longer by your side, she will always be in your heart. This is such a beautiful tribute to her and such beautiful memories that will forever be with you. Keep her memory close and in time the loss will lessen. I so enjoy your blog and am anxiously looking forward to your Scrap Club. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Such fun photos and great memories. So sorry for your loss. There's never enough time it seems no matter how much we are given with our family.

    ReplyDelete
  49. So sorry Kevin I know how much this hurts. Love the pictures of Gracie Lou she was a very sweet girl 💗

    ReplyDelete
  50. It has taken my several tries to get through this post without bawling and even then, I have been unable to comment because it is hard to type when you can't see the keyboard. Dear Kevin - you have written such a beautiful piece about your precious Gracie Lu! I can only imagine how hard this was for you to write, but thank you for sharing her and your story with us. I hope that, in time, your memories will bring you peace and comfort as she always did. Keeping you in prayer and in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I am sorry for the sad news. Last week my Chloe the Smelly Basset was diagnosed with soft tissue sarcoma at age 13. I understand that kick in the stomach feeling all too well.

    บอลพรุ่งนี้

    ReplyDelete
  52. I Want to use this medium to appreciate an online ghost hacker, after being ripped off my money he helped me find my cheating lover and helped me hacked his WHATSAPP, GMAIL, kik and all his social media platforms and i got to know that he has being cheating on me and in less than 24 hours he helped me out with everything, hacking setting is trust worthy, contact him via: hackingsetting50@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete