Monday, May 14, 2018

Removing the Daisies.........


 Happy belated Mother's Day Quilting Friends!


You KNOW I spent the day with my precious Momma
and talented Sister!  Of course the entire Hee Haw gang was there too.....
but, you get the picture!
LOL
I hope all of the mothers out there had a blessed Mother's Day!

Filling you in............


Here is the quilt I sent to my swap partner, Debby, in Oregon
for Lori at Humble Quilts doll quilt swap.
It is untitled, because I couldn't think of a good name for it!

However, it is very scrappy made with 52 different fabrics.
23.75" x 18.5"
It was a lot of fun to construct.
You can see all of the doll quilts from this swap
HERE

I received these gifts in the mail!
Cheryl of
sent me the adorable Boston Terrier Salt & Pepper shakers
and note pad.....
and Priscilla in Connecticut sent me the
beautiful friendship star block with featured Rooster
fabric!  She also sent me some vintage chicken fabric
as well as another chicken friendship star block!
Thank you ladies so much for your friendships and thoughtfulness!

It's finally planting season around these parts!
I LOVE these African Marigolds.

Have you all ever grown lettuce like this?
Well, it works!  And, I can't wait to eat some!
To the right is some dill I will place in the garden
once it is tilled.  LONG story there....but, it is finally getting done!

I am so proud of my barn quilt my sister made me!
I don't want it fading too quickly, and the front
porch here at the Quilt Cave is the perfect spot for it!

Any guesses as to which Bonnie Hunter pattern this is
I am currently working on???? LOL

Here is a throwback photo!
My sis will have been married 24 years in a few short days.
Time to start thinking about her Silver Anniversary quilt!

An antique find at a new to me Antique Mall near me.

Which brings me to the chicken pic of this blog post.....

Meet Oreo!
Oreo is a Light Brahma hen and is a large breed chicken.
She is quite docile, and lays a large cream colored egg.
Don't you love her feathered feet?

I can't believe my little Sugar Doll 
graduated Junior College......
she is ready for her next step in
becoming a Veterinarian!

Meet Robert E. Lee.....aka Little Bubs.
I helped him with his costume for his living history
presentations at his middle school.
He did a really good job, and it was fun helping
him recreate an outfit from the past.

In closing......I would like to share with you all a couple of 
house hold tips that have been working nicely
for me here at the Quilt Cave......

First..........
Have you ever tried to remove wall paper borders?
It's time for these daisies to say goodbye!
I have found that full strength Downy
applied with a sponge has helped in the removal of this.
It comes off in 2 layers......the print of the daisies comes off first...
then I reapply the Downy to the glue and paper that remains.
I have been pleasantly surprised at the results!

And next.........

something that happens to the best of us this time of year.....

mildew on vinyl fencing.......
It's ugly, and makes your vinyl fencing 
and siding look unpleasant.
I thought I would share a really easy
way to remove this unwanted mildew with you all?

These three products can help you alleviate your mildew problems
for several months at a time.

Here is the recipe I use:
1/3 Cup Tide
1/2 Cup Cascade (Some recipes call for Spic-N-Span if you can find it?)
3/4 Cup Purex
3 Quarts Water
(I do admit, I add some bleach if I am treating a really dirty area.)

Mix these ingredients in a large bucket.....
Scrub affected area with mixture and scrub brush....
Rinse with water.....use a power washer if you have it.

and...........

VOILA!!!!!
A clean vinyl fence ready for quilts to be hung
on it for picture taking......
and of course it just looks nice and clean for 
backyard barbecues and such!

There you have it folks!
Some tried and true
hints and time savers from 
Ole' Uncle Kevin the Quilter.

UPCOMING ENGAGEMENTS!!!!!!

Tuesday, May 15, 2018
Quilt Auction
University City, MO
I will be the auctioneer for this event!


Thursday, May 17, 2018
Flower Valley Quilting Guild
Lecture/Trunk show
Zion Lutheran Church
123 Carson Road
Ferguson, MO 63135

I hope to see you at one of these events!

Thanks for all of the encouragement!
Keep on Quilting!
Kevin the Quilter








15 comments:

  1. Removing daises is far better than pushing up daises...anyday! I just love how much fun Uncle Kevin has with his niece and nephew and just how much you adore your mom and family. Does a heart good to witness that. Great job on scrubbing up that vinyl fence, wow, that really makes a difference. Was great hearing from you again. Take good care and fly safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt and I have no clue which Bonnie Hunter quilt you are making!! I'd have to go through all her free patters and my books to find it, but I'm looking forward to seeing it grow. How many chickens do you have now? Love seeing pictures of them! I have some vinyl wall paper to remove...I'll have to try Downy on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your little quilt! I have the perfect name "Scraptastic Beauty"! Oreo is gorgeous! She really matches your new antique "find". And thanks for the household "tips". I'll be sure to give them to the maid when she arrives this morning! Wouldn't that be nice? Just think how much more quilting we could do if we had household help! Guess that is why you can write your name in the dust on all my surfaces! Oh well, life is short, quilt while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard of the product called Wet and Forget? Using a hose end sprayer it is sprayed onto brick or fences (all kinds) or roof shingles and works well to prevent molds and mildew (existing ones fade away slowly -new ones stay away). We reappky once a year and even our concrete birdbath bases no longer turn green. Wallpaper borders - UGH! Good luck with the auction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Uncle Kevin, or I should say "bro" because you are too young to be my uncle haha
    You are wonderful I love your posts. I love everything about you.
    Why do you live so far away? ❤️
    Oreo is beautiful, I do love her fluffy legs, she looks like a snuggle bug and I can imagine her stamping around in all of her cuteness
    Your blogs are always so full of love. Your mom, I want to hug her.
    Your sister is beautiful Time flies, and .... it is fleeting. It is good to be close as a family. I love that about our family too.
    Please give your pup girls kisses from me. and your niece and nephew are so fortunate to have such a caring uncle. (life is weird these days and so many kids and adults have no stability and that causes anger and the need to latch on to anything to feed that anger)
    Have a fun clean up, I love cleaning too.
    ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so busy!! looks like you have been having fun tho! So on the wallpaper - we might have removed a lot of it to ( in prep for someones visit??) ha ha! Glad you found a way to get it off. Look forward to seeing your new project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky Debby to get your beautiful little creation.
    You have received some "perfect for you" gifts from friends.
    Around our dry climate we do not have problems with mold on our vinyl fences, but we DO have trouble with wasps building their nests inside of the posts. Take off the top caps and you can see the Home Sweet Home they have built inside.
    You could do regular posts of "Uncle Kevin's Household Hints, from the Quilt Cave". It would be a hit! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd much rather be at your presentation tonight, than my quilt guild. I'm hoping that my guild schedules you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lil Bub's costume looks really intricate! Your front porch looks so inviting! Hope you get to enjoy it before it gets too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In addition to everything else you do, you're also an auctioneer too?!?!
    Love the salt and pepper shakers from Cheryl... adorable!
    Happy Quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great variety of projects! Fun to see. I remember removing wallpaper at our first home - somehow a pancake turner was the tool that worked. Bet it would have been good to know about the Dawn too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilt you made is so sweet, so well proportioned and scrappy. I love that barn quilt - what a nice sister to make that for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable doll quilt! I love this swap.
    Are you making Naragansett Blues? I'm currently making a version in browns and my piles of little 3 patches are growing.
    No mildewed fences here, but we did remove a 27 year old Southwest border last year...it wasn't too stubborn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The doll quilt you have made is beautiful Kevin ! I really love all the colors and the fabrics you used ! Quilters are the best :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you are staying very busy, but having fun. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete