Monday, June 22, 2015

Happy Father's Day......

I would like to wish all of those dads out there (in any capacity) a very Happy Father's Day!

I have heard from a few men that follow my blog, so I know you all are out there!

As for me and my family, we had a wonderful weekend celebrating with my Dad.

 Me and my Dad!

Me, Dad, and Sis after church Sunday morning.

You give my dad an engine of any type, and he is gonna be happy.
I certainly didn't inherit this from him!
He is in the middle of restoring this hit and miss antique engine.
The smile says it all!

Dad was a good boy, so I took him to go get some frozen custard!

On the crochet front........
who knew it could be so relaxing, and fun????
I have learned I like using a larger hook with bulky yarn.
This just works better for my hands.

I whipped up this lap afghan for my sister's birthday in no time!
I used THIS TUTORIAL on youtube.
Jennifer from Fiber Flux is an excellent teacher and has many free crochet patterns
and tutorials.  I have a feeling this may become a new hobby for me!

And, here is my sister thanking me for the afghan.
Trust me, she likes it! LOL

My friend Danielle that works at O'Sewpersonal gave me an AWESOME
bag of scraps!  I couldn't believe it when she handed it to me!
It is FULL of wonderful USABLE scraps! 
Thanks Danielle!

O'Sewpersonal also hosted a Demo day at the shop.
Here I am informing everyone about Bonnie Hunter's book String Fling
and showing some of my work from it.  I am also utilizing the technique of paper
foundation string piecing in some 
work of my own.  Like................



"String Star"
I love the way this little wall hanging turned out.
I envisioned it in my mind, and it just came to be.
Thanks TLC for the Kaffe scraps!  They were put to good use here!
I am imagining this as a large quilt with the background block cut down in size
and laid out in a 3x4 block setting.
I love the pieced background.......using up that stash!
Not to mention the scrappy binding.
There is a free pattern for this....but, you will have to go to 
O'Sewpersonal to get it! ;-)

Thanks for stopping by!
Hmmm....am I going to become Kevin the Crocheter?????
Have a great week!
Kevin the Quilter

22 comments:

  1. Everything is awesome! Love the Kaffe star - makes for great string blocks, but this is a show stopper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad is so cute! I can see where you get your infectious smile! I love the string star. And I'm glad you are enjoying crochet, however... Kevin the Crocheter just doesn't sound right. Keep up the good work Kevin the Quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of Kaffe fabrics. Did you applique the star or piece in the background pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt is a GREAT use of scraps! Too bad I can't just head over to O'Sewpersonal for a copy of the pattern. It's a BIT of a drive! :o((

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you learned how to crochet. You'll have to teach me. I learned how to chain stitch, way back in elementary school, but, couldn't get the hang of adding a row. Nice star quilt, too! I love stars!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crocheting is very relaxing.The afghan looks great and to think a rank beginner made it. You and your dad have the exact same smile, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your string star wall hanging is dy-no-mite!!. Of course I love the bright colors and dark backgrounds. Great quilting on it too. You and your dad are definitely related. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does your Dad give lessons on motor repair on vintage sewing machines?

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo! Yeah! I really LOVE the string star. :D So fun seeing the pics of your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautify photos of you and your dad! He looks like such a fun haver - my kind of man!
    My dad was a machine repairman for Ford Motor Co for 35 years.
    Your crocheting looks great, your sister is lucky and looks it, lol...
    Awesome wall hanging - great quilting texture!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why not become Kevin the Crocheter? I became "Gene the Weaver" although I still quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos of your dad and all of your family Kevin! My dad is the same way with engines and works on old tractors all the time! I think they would get along great! Love, love your String Star, it is beautiful! Did you quilt it on your Featherweight?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the fun photos of your dad Kevin! And your sister looks like a real hoot too.
    String Star is beautiful and the matchstick quilting you did looks great!
    I like chunky yarn a lot too... quicker results. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love what you did with the Kaffe fabrics and the HAPPY pictures with your family!. I find that crochet goes much faster. There's no drama on how to quilt or fabric choices and yarn is a bit less expensive than fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How you get so much done is beyond me. The scarf turned out great. Congrats on getting into one of Bonnie's classes, that's not an easy feat. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so lucky to have such a wonderful dad Kevin! Love the ice cream pic :*) Your star quilt is GORGEOUS!!!!! I always love checking in on your blog and seeing that you are livin' life large and having a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The scarf came out Beautiful ! Yay!!.....Such a good looking Family you have....you all have Beautiful smiles.
    Love your quilt, the big star. wow!..you are so Awesome Kevin..

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're crocheting like a pro already, Kevin! Me and the crochet hook never bonded. I guess that skill set skipped my genes. LOVE that string star quilt! You've got a nice-looking family, Kevin. I just realized we've seen all of your tongues in this post! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have such a great eye Kevin! I'm amazed at how different the quilts you make are and yet they're all just beautiful. I like your use of the Kaffe prints here. Usually I find them difficult to use in a quilt. Have fun with the crocheting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I Want to use this medium to appreciate an online ghost hacker, after being ripped off my money he helped me find my cheating lover and helped me hacked his WHATSAPP, GMAIL, kik and all his social media platforms and i got to know that he has being cheating on me and in less than 24 hours he helped me out with everything, hacking setting is trust worthy, contact him via: hackingsetting50@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I Want to use this medium to appreciate an online ghost hacker, after being ripped off my money he helped me find my cheating lover and helped me hacked his WHATSAPP, GMAIL, kik and all his social media platforms and i got to know that he has being cheating on me and in less than 24 hours he helped me out with everything, hacking setting is trust worthy, contact him via: hackingsetting50@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete