Thursday, June 20, 2019

Simply Sensational Summer Scrap Quilt!

Hey all you scrap quilters!

How many of you all like things that are simple?

Do you like things that are sensational?

What about Summer......do you all like the season that is upon us?

And, how do you all feel about Scrap Quilts???????

If you said yes or loved any of the questions above, I implore you to join me and the quilters of Scrap Club hosted by Kevin the Quilter in the..........

Thanks to my good friend Alycia of Alycia Quilts
and her son, Little Bit, for the cool badge!
Feel free to add it to your blog
and help spread the word!

Scrap quilting means different things to different quilters.
For me, it is about using a huge variety of fabrics in one quilt.
Although I do LOVE utilizing the smallest of scraps in my
quilt making endeavors, I will definitely cut from larger pieces
of fabric such as fat quarters and yardage to enhance
that variety.  Variety is the spice of life, and it is the same
for me in my quilting artistry.  I hope you will consider
doing the same during this mystery/sew along.

Let's get some of the particulars out of the way, 
concerning this mystery/sew-a-long shall we?

The Simply Sensational Summer Scrap Quilt is
based on an antique quilt in my personal collection.
It measures approximately 69"x 82".
However, YOU will be able to determine
if you would like your version to be
a little larger, or a little smaller
in our first clue!
This quilt embodies simple, traditional quilt making 
techniques, which is something I love.


When I say this is going to be simple.....
I! MEAN! IT!

Clues will be posted here on my blog
 on the 4th Thursday during the months of
June
July
and
August.
Yep!  You read that correctly!
3 EASY clues that will help you create a very
striking quilt and help you "dent" that
scrap/stash!  Notice, I didn't say bust! LOLOL
PDFs will be added as they become available.

PDF UPDATE!!!!
HERE
(My apologies for all of the confusion!)

Consider this an easy pallet cleanser that you can do
in between other piecing this summer.
No specialty rulers needed!
Did I mention it is some super easy sewing???

Perhaps you are seeking an easy design to
use your scraps in making a donation quilt?
Maybe you have always wanted to step out
of your comfort zone and try something new?
I would like to encourage you to participate and consider
donating this quilt to a charity, philanthropic organization,
or church in your area.

You are probably asking yourself at this point....
is he going to give us a color pallet to go off of???
What about yardage requirements????
Well......
this is designed to be a 2 color quilt, so what I want you to
do is...... analyze your scraps/stash.....





go on......
I will wait........








Find 2 colors that you have A LOT of
and that have 
STARK CONTRAST.
We will be working with
lights, mediums, and darks 
in each of the 2 colors you choose.
We will also be exploring color saturation.
Trust me......if you are a scrap quilter
 like me, you will have
MORE than enough
fabrics (yardage requirements) to work with.
Don't stress......just take delight
in using up some fabrics.

I personally challenged myself to visit one of my 
fabric bins
that rarely if ever gets peeked into.....
My batiks scrap/stash bin.

I selected to work with brown batiks.
In the photo above you will see
red browns, gold browns, green browns, light browns, 
medium browns and
dark browns.....
I am working from pre-cut strips, irregular scraps, as well as 
fat quarters and yardage.

All are batiks in my version of this quilt.

And, for STARK CONTRAST
 I am working with.....
neutral batiks.
These range from very light, to mediums,
to darker gray tones and beige,......
you can see above
there is quite a variety in the neutrals.
The one important aspect is that these 
contrast against the browns.

You can choose to work with any 2 colors
you would like to!
Some options might be:
Blue - Red
Red - Green
Neutral - Black
Black - Gold
Brown - Yellow
Again, the choice is yours.....
just make sure you have a lot of 
scraps/stash in the 2 colors you choose
and that the 2 colors have
STARK CONTRAST.

This quilt truly is too easy
NOT to do!

It reminds me of the good ole' summer time
when I was a kid, sewing with my
2 great aunts!
I hope you will choose to join me in this
fun quilt along mystery.

And......enjoy what summer brings......

yellow crook neck squash and zucchini from my garden
already being harvested here at the
Quilt Cave.

I turned the squash into...

this scrumptious casserole.

is the link to this
delicious, cheesy squash casserole I made.


Thanks for all of your encouragement!
Keep on Quilting!
Kevin the Quilter








29 comments:

  1. This will be fun to watch! No matter how easy, I'm afraid this will be a summer of very little sewing, so I will enjoy it vicariously and look forward to seeing what everyone creates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! The link isn't working. It took me to my gmail for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having the same problem ad Cheryl. Tried several times.😕 Am looking forward to a fun, easy project to get myself back to sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun!! I may be able to do a small one, around trying to finish the Carolina Hurricane Quilt Project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fabulous summer time project. Put the button on my sidebar and will advert in my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!!! Scrap Club for ALL!!!! Thanks for including us (blog readers) Kevin. Off to check the status of the stash....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just saying to myself, no more QALs. But I think I might have to join in on this one. I'm sure curious, and I have plenty of scraps. Off to look at my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in! I am overrun with pink, so I may combine it with brown--thanks for the opportunity to join the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in! I'm thinking purple/yellow will be my combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heck yes I am in! I love everything on the list except summer. I'm one of those weird people who lives for winter. Don't like heat or humidity. But I am ready to turn the AC on in the sewing room and quilt along with Kevin!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm intrigued.... I have plenty of light neutrals, now to find a color that I have plenty of. I really don't think that'll be a problem, do you?!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kevin, the link doesn't work for me either, and I am so excited to get started. Pleasssseee help

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kevin- summer, scraps and squash! What else do you need? A working link to your document! Sounds like it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’ve got the Missing Link syndrome as well LOL
    Looking forward to this adventure ��

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll wait until the link is working then decide if I can do this. I've never done a Qalong before :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kevin try the link does not work,what another quilt along. Happy summer all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm looking forward to using up some of my stash. Also, the squash casserole sounds wonderful. Thank you, Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kevin, you are so irrepressibly inspiring and fun.
    I want to join in but when I click the link I am asked to provide a gmail address. I do not have one. So, I do hope you can give some of the instructions right here on your bloggie

    I live on Mount Stash, in Virginia (look south east, hey)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How could I pass up ANOTHER project??? Even simple! You're an enabler, you realize that, don't you?? VBG
    Love the squash casserole. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like fun. I really shouldn't start another project, but I could definitely stand to unload some of my scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun summer project! I like that you encourage us to donate our creation!!
    I won't be sewing along because I'm already behind on my own stringalong I'm hosting. I'll have to get the pedal to the medal when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness you are tempting me! You know how much I love mysteries!
    And you also know how many UFOs I already have piling up!
    But of course I can't resist because I have NO will power... woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yea, the link works now! I mentioned it at the Missouri TOGA (one lady already knew about it) and I just let both my quilt guilds know, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kevin. Is there any way you can lighten your background of post
    Some words are hard to see and read. Ty

    ReplyDelete
  25. You had me at, "Kevin the Quilter is having a quiltalong!" Pink and neutrals for me. Fabric bins are near the Accuquilt today. :) Happy summer sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looking through my scraps tonight. This sounds like fun, and I always love simple.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I haven't been able to get the PDF.....is it just me? Thanks, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just popped over here from Mari's blog and I am all in. I certainly don't need another project but I am intrigued by the description and my bins are absolutely overflowing. Now, what color to use? I am debating green and red, or a blue and neutral off-white quilt. Decisions, decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I Want to use this medium to appreciate an online ghost hacker, after being ripped off my money he helped me find my cheating lover and helped me hacked his WHATSAPP, GMAIL, kik and all his social media platforms and i got to know that he has being cheating on me and in less than 24 hours he helped me out with everything, hacking setting is trust worthy, contact him via: hackingsetting50@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete