Saturday, June 1, 2019

A loving tribute.......

I am saddened to inform you all that I lost my handsome boy, Valentino, last week.
He has made several appearances here on the blog
from time to time.
I thank God for all of the wonderful time
I have been able to spend with
him throughout his life
here on earth.
Valentino
Adopted 1/28/2004 - 5/26/2019

Several of you follow me on social media, and have been so kind and supportive.
I can't thank you all enough for that.

After losing Gracie Lu 2 years ago, I realized how supportive
my quilting friends are.

Please know, although the loss of Valentino is great, 
he left this world under greatly different circumstances than
Gracie Lu.

Of course, losing someone you love is ALWAYS
difficult.  But, when you know the life they lived
was a happy and long one, it does make the pain
for you a little more acceptable.

Please indulge me while I brag on my
good looking boy in this post.
Believe it or not, it will be somewhat
quilt related, because, Mr. Valentino was
my constant companion in my studio.

I adopted Valentino in 2004, shortly after I lost my
cat I had all throughout High School, College and
the beginning of my flying career.
The volunteer at the shelter got him out for me, and Val put on
quite a show.  I said to him, "if you want to come home with me,
jump on my lap."
No sooner when I said that, and he was right there
on my lap!

He was quite vocal on the way home in the crate.
He didn't like being confined in the crate.
As soon as I opened the door of the crate
and started petting him, he stopped meowing.

The shelter listed him as a  2 1/2 - 3 year old "spayed female."
"She" was a domestic longhair, and was in desperate need of  
a good grooming.  I named "her" Princess Petunia.
(Notice in the photo above....Valentino wasn't crazy
about being mistaken for a girl.....OR the name!" LOL

  
When I picked him up from the groomer, I will never
forget the laugh I had with the groomer when she said,
"You don't have a princess!"
I was somewhat embarrassed, thinking "Princess Petunia"
had misbehaved.
Then the groomer said, "you have a PRINCE!"
Oh!!!! No wonder he didn't like that name!!!!!
Valentino was the perfect name for my
handsome prince!

He has been the PERFECT feline
for the past 15 years.
No joke!
He never destroyed ANYTHING.
And, he LOVED his litter box......he
never left any unwanted surprises anywhere
other than his litter box! LOL
Cat lovers will understand! LOL

He even caught a mouse in the house once!
That earned HUGE bonus points with my
Little Momma! LOLOL


He always loved Christmas, and I am telling you
the honest truth when I say, he NEVER
even batted at a Christmas ornament!  EVER!
He LOVED laying under the Christmas tree though.

He loved posing for photographs in that "cat" kind of way.
You know, like, I am NOT going to look at the camera...
so just take the picture like this!

See what I mean?
"I fell in love with you, 
the first time I looked into
.......them, there eyes!"

The Cat's Meow!

As the years past,
Mr. Puss E. Paws (AKA Valentino)
began to show signs of age.

Cat naps became much more frequent and longer.

Oh, how I loved to cuddle up with him,
and let him purr me to sleep.
There's something so soothing
about a cat's purr, don't you think?

This photo really kind of sums up
our relationship. LOL
I love this pic of us!

When he was diagnosed as diabetic
a few years ago,
he received the best of care that
could be provided to him.
This did slow him down,
and he became more frail.

Through it all, he has been my constant sewing companion.
My studio snoopervisor.
And he always let me know what he thought
of  what I was working on.

I had a feeling time was short for
Valentino last week.
Isn't it odd how you get those feelings?
It wasn't a feeling of doom.....
it wasn't that he was acting any different....
it was a feeling of enjoy
everything while it lasts.

The photo above and below are 
the last photos I have of me and my
handsome boy.
I loved him til the end.
It was peaceful.
He was not in pain,
nor was he suffering.
He made a very quiet exit.


Remember when Gracie Lu passed,
and I told you all the story about my Grandma's rose
bushes blooming when she had passed?
The roses came out in full force
the day Gracie Lu passed.....



No kidding folks.......they bloomed for Valentino too!
A simple and meaningful blessing to me.
Thank you God!
And,
thanks Meemaw and Gracie Lu too!

Mr. Valentino is at home forever now.
If you have ever thought about cremation
for a pet, I highly recommend finding a reputable
crematorium for animals that offers
private cremation.

I can't thank the folks at
Pet Memorial Services
for providing such comforting
assistance during this time of loss.



Thanks for all of your encouragement!
Keep on Quilting!
Kevin the Quilter





39 comments:

  1. Hi, I hopped to you from another friend.No matter how long we have a loved and loving cat, the years or months are not long enough.We had one darling ginger stray for just 6 months, and crammed so much love in, Basil, the gentle giant, then Felicity, 20 years, a silver tabby who began to be so frail. We know when they tell us in their ryes and movements when the time has come. You will have a huge gap in your life, but loving memories, and to know how your darling BOY came into your life, truly, they pick us from day one. Fond greetings from a cold day down here in New Zealand.Mr Valentino, a photo and his ashes, what a tribute with love in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss, Kevin. You wrote a very sweet tribute post for Valentino. Thanks for sharing your memories with us. Sending quilty hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Miss Angel loved to lay under our Christmas tree and she was my studio snoopervisor. She's been over that rainbow bridge for many years now but we will never forget her purrs or head butts. I'm certain your memories of Valentino memories will comfort you and get you through this difficult time period. Sending hugs of understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sad - when you have a pet as long as you did I'm sure it can be very hard to adjust without

    ReplyDelete
  5. He had the cutest face!
    A neighborhood stray adopted us and when we brought "her' in to get spay, we found out she was a he and was already fixed!
    I know you'll miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about Valentino. God loves all people, animals and creatures of the earth. Valentino has new life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss. Valentino was greatly loved and loved you so much in return!! I'm glad his trip over the Rainbow Bridge was easy for him...the roses show you every time. As with all our fur babies, his paw prints will forever be on your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Big hugs, Kevin. I’m so sorry for your loss of your beloved Valentino. It is SO hard. He chose you... and what a wonderful life he had with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kevin... I let a comment on FB but I loved to see the pictures about the sweet Valentino on your blog.
    As you know, I love a lot cats (I have 2 !) but whatever it is a cat or a dog, we adore our pets...
    He had a lovely life with you ... and you with him !
    Sending you big hugs friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your precious Valentino. Will be keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful kitty! You were blessed to have each other for so many years. So sorry for your loss Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear of your loss. You were both blessed to have so much time together, but it is never enough when we love them so.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Kevin. I know your heart well. I understand.
    As you can see, my name is connected with a kitty blog, a silly one, and I had to end it
    and "move along" when my mom had her stroke.
    Valentino was very very handsome. You two were a team, I know it. Our beloved beasties are our babies, they know we adore them. I now have three kitties I have had to say good bye to and they were cremated. I agree about finding a local reputable pet crematory. We have a few here.
    It is hard and for me, it is always just horrible. No matter how long you have a kitty, their loss is devastating. I love you dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  14. My deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved Valentino. Tuxedo cats are just the best, and he was so lucky to have such a good life with you. May he rest in peace. And may you be comforted by your fond memories, Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so sorry to hear about Valentino passing. Is always hard since they are part of our family. glad he went peacefully. remember the good times and know you gave him a wonderful home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, he was a handsome fellow, and I'm sure you will miss him. Nice post, and I love the photo of the two of you! Hugs, Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is so hard to lose a furkid, Valentino was such a handsome prince. He has a good long life, filled with love. Sending virtual hugs your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful story and tribute to Valentino! I'm sorry for your loss of your dear furry friend. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry for your loss, Kevin. Nothing can ever replace the love we have for our pets, and they have for us. I'm sure the loss of Valentino has left a huge hole in your heart, but thank goodness you have all the happy memories of his life with you. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Having lost a couple of beloved cats, I know the hole they leave. I still have one rescue cat, Tugger, but he still thinks at 10 he is a NFL linebacker and continues to be a needy cat for affection. He thinks it is all about him. Last year I lost my 21 year old which was hard. Thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful tribute for your forever friend Mr Valentino - his memories will live forever in your big big heart <3 Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful stories, handsome pictures and a very moving tribute to your longtime, fur companion. You did very well by him, Kevin. This is probably the most difficult part of being an animal lover making house training look easy. Pets have such a way of giving you their affection, attention and their all that so completely fills a need in us. Thank you for sharing the great memories.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Valentino. I know the hole that is left in one's heart at the passing of our fur children, and my thoughts and prayers are with you, Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry to hear of Valentino's passing. What a beautiful post to contributed to him and his life. Pets touch our hearts so much. He was such a lucky pet. LOVE the photos of him and the way you described his loving personality.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, Kevin, I'm so sorry! I don't have pets but can feel how much you cared about Valentino and how much your heart hurts. Love the pictures, and I hope your memories bring you joy. Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete

  26. So sorry to hear that Valentino crossed the rainbow bridge. What a beautiful tribute you wrote about him.

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a sweet tribute for your beautiful Valentine. He sure was handsome. xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful tribute to a purr-fect friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So sweet. Glad Valentino was able to pass without much pain or discomfort. That in itself is truly a blessing. We love our fur-babies ALWAYS & FOREVER! ((hugs)) ❤🌹

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so sorry for your loss. It looks like Valentino had a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  31. So sorry about your kitty. I've lost pets, and I know how hard it will be for you. Glad you have such nice memories of him.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So sorry to hear that sweet Valentino has passed and thank you for sharing your photos and memories of him, he was such a handsome kitty. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sorry for the loss of Valentino.....loved when you shared him in your posts. You rescued him and gave him a wonderful lfe.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a handsome and apparently totally awesome cat! Lovely tribute to him. Great long life with you. So sorry, I know it's so hard to say farewell to a beloved pet!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a fabulous tribute to your boy. Yes, it is never easy to lose our fur babies so I am very sorry. Great memories he and you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sending you a bunch of hugs. Pets are such an incredible part of lives. And I know that your pets are blessed to have you in their lives. Heck, all creatures whether pets or human are blessed to have you in their lives. Beautiful tribute for a beautiful cat.
    Hugs from Audrey in Greeley, CO

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such a sweet story of you cat's life with you. What a beautiful kitty. And a kind, loving companion.
    So sorry for your loss... ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a handsome fellow. He does look like he had the best life. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I Want to use this medium to appreciate an online ghost hacker, after being ripped off my money he helped me find my cheating lover and helped me hacked his WHATSAPP, GMAIL, kik and all his social media platforms and i got to know that he has being cheating on me and in less than 24 hours he helped me out with everything, hacking setting is trust worthy, contact him via: hackingsetting50@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete